You can view the document by clicking here.
Summary of Recommendations
To address our main findings we made the following recommendations.
- We recommend the that Board trustees develop ways to work together to effectively discharge their responsibilities.
- We recommend that Board trustees ensure that they understand, accept, and are addressing their governance roles and responsibilities.
- We recommend that the Board require senior management to provide it with sufficient, appropriate and regular information.
- We recommend that the Board engages in a healthy level of questioning and holding senior management accountable, in a respectful, professional and appropriate manner.
- We recommend that senior management prepare an action plan, including responsibilities and timelines to address identified control weaknesses, including those outlined in our detailed management letter, and provide regular updates on progress to the Board.
- We recommend that the Board ensures that it receives regular updates from senior management and ensures that a strong system of controls is in place and working effectively and mitigating risk to an acceptable level.
- We recommend that senior management and the Board move to a longer term period of at least five years of strategic planning, and that the District's strategic plan include a link between its educational goals and financial resource planning.
- We recommend that management provide more regular information to the Board on longer term strategic and facilities planning and progress, including annual evaluation of its facilities planning and financial management.
- We also recommend that the District prepare a 10 year School District facilities Plan.
Malcolm gaston, Assistant Auditor General
Jim Neily, Director
Tara Anderson, Manager
Jenny Wang, IT Audit Manager
Phil Hancyk, Auditor